San Antonio, Bexar Co., Texas
Camp Travis was established in July 1917, adjoining the permanent U.S. Army post, Fort Sam Houston. The camp, which had a capacity of just under 43,000 men, was set up to train the 90th “Tough ‘Ombres” Infantry Division (National Army). The 90th was comprised of selective service inductees primarily from Texas & Oklahoma.
In the summer of 1918, Camp Travis was designated an induction and replacement center. It then became a demobilization center after the Armistice, where over the course of eight months, around 62,500 men were discharged from duty. In 1919, it was also used as a local recruiting station and depot, and the home station of the Second Division. By 1922, it was absorbed into Fort Sam Houston.
Further Reading & ResourcesC
U. S. Army Center of Military History
Texas State Historical Association
Camp Travis and The World War (Digitized Book with Photos)