Fort Riley, Riley Co., Kansas
Camp Funston, with a capacity for some 43,000 soldiers, was established in July 1917. It was used as a temporary training cantonment within the permanent U. S. Army post, Fort Riley, for the 89th Infantry Division (National Army). The 89th was comprised of selective service inductees primarily from Kansas, Missouri, and Nebraska; but also had numbers in the thousands from several other states.
The outbreak of the Spanish Influenza Epidemic (1918-1920) was traced back to Camp Funston, and the camp was hit particularly hard by the epidemic.
After the Armistice it was designated as a demobilization center. Camp Funston was finally dismantled in 1924, with a few remnants of foundation and a stone obelisk to commemorate the Great War remaining on Fort Riley today.
Further Reading & Resources
The U. S. Army Center of Military History
Various blog posts of interest by Kansas WWI Centennial Committee