Ayer, Middlesex Co., Massachusetts
Camp Devens was established in 1917 to house and train 10,000 soldiers. By the war’s end over 100,000 men from the 12th & 76th Divisions had passed through the camp.
In 1918, it became a separation center for over 150,000 soldiers returning from France.
In 1931, Camp Devens became the permanent Army post of Fort Devens, and it remained active until the base was shut down in 1996.
Further Reading & Resources
Training at Camp Devens – By The U.S. Army Center of Military History