Camp MacArthur, named for Medal of Honor recipient Lt. Gen. Arthur MacArthur (father of Gen. Douglas MacArthur), was established in July 1917 to become the training camp of the 32nd Infantry Division which was made up of federalized National Guard units from Michigan and Wisconsin.
The National Guard units arrived in September 1917 and the first inducted men began arriving in October 1917. The 32nd Division occupied the camp until January 1918. During 1918 it was designated and operated as an infantry replacement and training camp. In December 1918 it became a demobilization camp for returning men being discharged. The camp was closed in 1919 and the grounds were turned over to the City of Waco. A historical marker was placed on the spot where camp headquarters once stood.