Camp A.A. Humphreys
Accotink [Ft. Belvoir], Virginia
Camp A.A. Humphreys [sometimes spelled Humphries], named for Civil War Brigadier General Andrew A. Humphreys and built on the Potomac River near George Washington’s historic Mount Vernon home, was authorized in December 1917 and construction began in January 1918.
In May 1918 the camp was designated as an engineer replacement and training camp and began accepting the majority of the men who would come through there. Camp Humphreys remained an engineer training center throughout 1918, until December when it was designated as a demobilization camp. After the first World War the camp was retained as a permanent reservation associated with the Army’s Engineer School. The name changed to Fort Humphreys in 1922, and in 1935 it became Fort Belvoir, which is still an active military installation today.