Wrightstown, Burlington Co., New Jersey
Camp Dix was established 18 July 1917, to serve as a training camp for the 78th Division (National Army). It had a capacity of nearly 43,000 soldiers, and became one of the largest camps in the Northeast.
In May 1918, Camp Dix was designated as an embarkation camp. After the Armistice on 11 November 1918, it became a demobilization and debarkation camp.
Camp Dix was retained as the permanent U. S. Army post, Fort Dix. And in 2009, along with the adjoining Air Force and Navy facilities, it became part of Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst. It remains operational today.
Further Reading & Resources
A Short History of the Origins of Camp Dix – By Steven J. Baeli of the Ocean County Compendium of History
Training at Camp Dix – By The U.S. Army Center of Military History